Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, January 29, 2010

I'm Dreaming of a White January...

About now, my plan was to be arriving at the airport to fly up to northern Cali for my Ph.D. seminar (a week, twice a year. Exhausting, but necessary. I won't complain about a week on a secluded mountain either...)

However, Wednesday night, this beauty of a sky greeted me:

They say a ring around the moon means snow or (chilly) rain is coming soon. I discovered, in researching the myth later online, that the effect is caused by thin clouds made of ice crystals twenty thousand feet up. They refract the moonlight, causing rings around the moon.

So? Was it true? Did a ring around the moon mean snow was coming soon?

Well, Thursday, all day Thursday, this was going on outside:


It started out with rain awakening me before dawn, slashing against the window with a force that exceeded normal rain drops. That was because each drop had a little heart of ice in it. An hour later, only straight ice. And, after that, snow.

So, now, the roads are covered with ice, then up to a foot of snow.
Hmm.
I don't think I'll be making it to the airport, 50 miles away.

Last night I got a phone call from Southwest saying that my flight was canceled. They also said to, if possible, call back at another time to rebook because everyone on all the canceled flights (there were a few, I'm assuming) was currently calling to rebook.

No biggie. I put on my heavy socks and waited it out. Besides, what's the point of rescheduling a flight if I won't be able to make it to the airport?

This morning I discovered that the roads should be fully clear by Sunday, and that no flights are available til Monday.

So, Monday it is!

Of course, that's assuming that there's still a spot open on the flights (I haven't called yet.)

We'll see!

This morning's view out the front window:


Check out those ice cycles!
I won't discuss how during the day Wednesday the temperature was up to 60 degrees. Living inland is weird.

Today's quote:
I spent a long time trying to find my center until I looked closely at it one night & found it had wheels and moved easily in the slightest breeze. So now I spend less time sitting and more time sailing.
Brian Andreas (Story People)

1 comment:

Karls said...

What a contrast to where I am! I've only ever seen snow once in my life. It's soooo beautiful!